Sunday, February 12, 2012

New Photo Blog

I have already made some progress on my 30 by 30 list. Public publishing is definitely helping to motivate me! I just wanted to do a quick post on here to tell everyone about my photo blog on Tumblr. You have to start your own Tumblr blog page in order to officially "follow" me, which is kind of a pain, but you can check back every few days on my site: http://hiddengeometry.tumblr.com/ to see what's new. I post several times per week over there. I even made my own logo to use as a watermark so people don't just steal my photos.



I went with the name "Hidden Geometry" for my blog. Some catchier things were already taken, but I believe this describes my artistic philosophy, such as is it. I find that when I take several versions of a photo, I always like the one where I zoomed in the closest the most. I also play a little game with iPhoto on my laptop where I "share" my photos on my desktop as a background and the Mac chooses a point somewhere near the center, does a fairly extreme zoom in and puts it on my desktop. I discover the most interesting parts of my photos this way, and sometimes I like the zoomed version as much or better than the original. I really enjoy discovering the hidden geometry of our world, particularly the geometric shapes hidden in flowers, repeated shapes in architecture, or structure in places where you would expect randomness. Anyway, I'm dusting off shots from many years past and many states and countries, as well as doing some interesting cropping and a little photoshopping here and there. I hope you enjoy seeing some of my work!

Here are a few samples of things I've posted:

a poppy in Ephesus- just part of a larger shot of several flowers

close-up of a rather irritated looking sea turtle in Monterrey, CA- look at those shapes!


a lamp seen from between 2 columns in the Paris Opera House

a white jonquil from someplace around Alexandria last spring

No comments:

Post a Comment