Thursday, December 22, 2011

Feeding Friendship: Peppermint

This time around, in honor of the Christmas season and its flavors, I chose peppermint as our featured ingredient.



While there are several killer cocktails out there involving peppermint flavor, I decided right away on the candy classic: peppermint bark. It's easy, involves few ingredients, is highly gift-able and has the added bonus of involving 2 kinds of peppermint: candy canes and extract. I decided to make a big batch and my original recipe called for:

2 lbs. white chocolate baking pieces
1 cup crushed candy canes
peppermint extract

Once I got out the peppermint extract, there was another recipe for peppermint bark on the box. It only called for 16oz of baking pieces, but helpfully gives an amount of extract- 1 tsp - as well as suggesting using food coloring to make red or green swirls in the chocolate. Sooo, I ended up with this final recipe cobbled from the two above:

2lbs white chocolate
~1/2 cup crushed candy candy (1 c is too much, maybe 6 canes will do it)
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
~10 drops red food coloring

Start the process by unwrapping your candy canes if necessary, putting them in a baggie and smashing them to a size you'd be comfortable eating on top of candy. You may want to use a rolling pin or something less angular than my friend the hammer here, since I ended up with some fairly serious gashes in my baggie. This may just be the hazard of working with sharp candy, so crush cautiously.

crushing candy canes

I bought my 'canes in bulk

Next, you'll need to melt the chocolate pieces by using a double boiler or using a metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water or microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring in between. Sorry for the plethora of options there, but everyone's equipment is different. I used the bowl on a pot method and added the pieces gradually, stirring with something heat-proof to help the new pieces melt.

my crude but effective setup- won't burn your chocolate!


stir occasionally while it melts

While the chocolate is melting, get out a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) and cover it with wax paper or parchment paper. Once your chocolate has achieved a smooth, creamy state, remove from heat and add your extract. The extract is clear, so I'm not including a photo here of adding something clear to something white. Yawn.

ready to pour


When you've stirred in your extract completely, pour the chocolate out onto the cookie sheet you prepared. Spread the chocolate with a spatula until it's around 1/4 inch thick.

spreading out the chocolate- 2lbs makes most of a pan


Next came the only part I found at all tricky. The McCormick directions said to dot the chocolate with the food coloring and spread with a wooden skewer- I chose a toothpick, being fresh out of skewers. I found the spreading of the color to be a bit tricky and hard to achieve an appealing overall effect. Observe:

dotting the food coloring, per the directions

hmmm

spreading the cheer 

If this was a pan of those cheesecake brownies, I would be seriously irritated. However peppermint bark gets broken up into smallish pieces, so it's not a big deal if your color is not distributed evenly and beautifully over the surface of the chocolate. You can even skip the food coloring step, and I'm certain your bark will still appear plenty festive. I just happened to have some red food coloring burning a hole in my pantry after a recent foray into red velvet cake pops. Once your color is spread to your satisfaction (or the best of your ability before the chocolate sets up), sprinkle on the candy cane pieces you previously smashed. Lovely. You may want to press them down into the chocolate a bit to help with candy retention during the breaking phase.

sprinkle and pat down your pieces

Then, into the refrigerator goes you pan for 45 minutes or until the chocolate sets up completely. I'm sure you can cheat by using the freezer if you're in a hurry.

chilling out


Once it's set, get your pan out and break into bite-sized chunks. I ended up using a knife for this, because darn it, candy canes are sticky! I would just pick an area and slowly lean on the knife until it created a fault line and then cut pieces down from there. No need to be perfect or form squares!

breaking up the bark

Tah-dah! Now you have peppermint bark to snack on or share. George asked for seconds, and I thought it was just minty enough without being overkill. Go forth and make bark!


1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, Sarah! Chef Donna here from Last night's Spice and Tea Demo. GREAT to meet you! One of the guests last night suggested something exactly like this only a bit more savory for super bowl with The Spice and Tea Exchange's Espresso Steak Rub. This is definitely the technique to use, though!

    ReplyDelete