Monday, May 30, 2011

A San Francisco Treat

At the very end of last week, I found out that I would be traveling this week to San Francisco for some meetings. I decided to stay an extra day to explore the city since I hadn't yet visited this part of California. my parents and I had a lovely time in Monterrey, but never got as far north as the bay area last time. And, as my mother reminded me, the last time I was there I was a queasy feeling and an aversion to fish that she just couldn't explain. (before realizing later that she was pregnant with me) So one hurried booking of plane tickets, two long plane rides and a couple of meetings later, I was ready to tour. Coworkers had assured me that I could "see it all in one day!" but I was skeptical. I've since learned that you can clap eyes on all the sites in one day, but you can't "do" it all in a day, as my still-aching feet will attest. I didn't book my ferry to Alcatraz early enough and refused to be ripped off by the secondary tour groups, so I'll have to save it for next time. I did succumb to the "hop-on. hop off" double-decker open top bus, so here is a pictorial record of my journey around town:

I started off my day with a trolley ride down to the Ghirardelli square area. It's a pretty beach front area with shops, restaurants, and the all-important chocolate gift shop and ice cream parlor, but frankly there's not a lot of "there" there. I was hoping to get a tour of an old chocolate factory or some sort of historical something, there was really just a nice plaque and boutiques. I did learn (from the plaque) that Ghirardelli was apprenticed as a sweet maker in Italy, but moved to Uruguay, Lima, and finally to California in the gold rush. He started as a grocery supplier, but both the store locations he had built burned down in an earthquake and he turned back to confection making, luckily for us. 

A cheeky seagull and an historical ship.

The Golden Gate started the day shrouded in mist

This may be my favorite picture of the trip. This was a candid I took of 2 "statues" on break in the Fisherman's Wharf 711 getting their change turned into cash and snacks. I think this was their usual money changing spot and they seemed to know the staff there. So funny. 


The Transamerica building from afar and from straight down. 



Some shots of the fancy SF City Hall. It's taller than the US Capitol building...upstarts.

Next up, some of the historic houses known as the 6 sisters or the "painted ladies."



Lovely, aren't they? I think it would be a lot of pressure owning one though, what with all the nosy tourists taking pictures all the time.


Another opportune seagull on a fountain in the garden between the California Academy of Sciences and the De Young museum.

And, at last, the Golden Gate Bridge with a little more sunshine late in the day.



I got a little fancy with a couple of double exposures next.



One more with the flag and the tourists...

The Palace of Fine Arts Pavilion was originally built for an international exposition in 1915, right after the city recovered from the big 1906 earthquake. It was originally built only to last a year as an exhibition space for...you guessed it, fine arts. The local residents petitioned to keep it, later it fell into disrepair, and it was permanently restored in the 1960s in materials built to last based on (and molded from) the original. This structure is hugely tall and really breathtaking in a warm sandstone color.




Look at those figures on the top- just crazy big!

While I was there a group of friends was gathering (then hiding) as a girlfriend was about to be proposed to. Nice setting, guy- well played!

Okay, in case you aren't asleep yet, here are a few bonus flowers...because you know I just can't help myself, I'm a macro flower junkie. Not in recovery. Not even trying to get well.







Thanks for coming on my tour of San Francisco!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! It looks like you were there at a beautiful time (I was last there in March of 2010 and it very cold and very windy). Did you go into the DeYoung? I think they have a nice collection of Rodin sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, overall it was a beautiful time to be there. I did go to the De Young. I didn't have a ton of time and didn't see any Rodins, but I did see some contemporary stuff, some Chihulys, and a great special show on the designer Balenciaga and his inspirations from Spain. Unfortunately there was no photography in that show, but his clothes were AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete